Thursday, September 10, 2009

Bit My Tongue!


There are some lessons I need to learn over and over before they "stick". One of these lessons is biting my tongue when I'm tempted to just say what's on my mind or the first thought that pops into my head. I'm learning that just because it pops into my head, doesn't mean it needs to come out of my mouth. I don't think I was born with a natural filter that evaluates these thoughts. :)

Although I still have a hard time with filtering my thoughts, I have seen some improvements lately. Because I know this is an area of weakness for me, I am conscious of the progress I am making. I had an opportunity this week to reflect on that.

Awhile back, I made a commitment to get rid of all the 'negative talk' both in my head and what left my lips. It has improved, but I can still get sucked in to negative conversations once in awhile. I was at a meeting where people were complaining about their spouses. I think it's easy to fall into the typical stereotypical images that our society portrays as it pertains to our roles in our marriages or just as men and women. I noticed that this group of people was no different. Normally, I would nod and agree and maybe be involved with the conversation. What surprised me was that it was EASY for me NOT to get into the conversation. I was not even tempted. It was easy to bite my tongue after many months of practice. The 'negative talk' has diminished over the years. I am now focusing on being a more positive person.

It was refreshing to realize that I CAN change! I've learned that your thoughts really do shape your character. What do your thoughts portray to people? Think about that for a minute....Because what you are thinking, will become your character.

No comments:

Post a Comment